venerdì 31 agosto 2007

Ramblings in lieu of sleeping


I started to read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone a few months before the first movie came out. I had trouble with the first chapter, with getting into the story. Something kept me reading, however, and by the time I was finished I was hooked.I remember being excited by the alchemical references (alchemy being an interest of mine) and impressed and entertained by the intricacy of the wizarding world, even in the first book when it was not nearly so developed as it has become. I adored Dumbledore, loathed Snape, hated Malfoy, and came away from the experience desperate to know more about the lot of them.Lucky for me, I began reading the series with four books already published, and I devoured the rest with an intensity I had not known since my love affair with Jane Austen a few years earlier. I wanted to know everything; who Voldemort really was, what Harry's scar meant, where Ron lived . . . everything. I was not disappointed . . . until I reached the end of Book Four and realized that I now had to wait. I reread and reread as I do the books I really love, and soon I could recite whole scenes. I began to wonder about Snape's history, and began to suspect certain things that turned into theories, some of which were corroborated when Book Five was published. I began to enjoy Malfoy's snarky remarks, and even agree with a few. But Malfoy's the villain! I told myself. Snape's an oily jerk! Myself didn't listen. I don't know when exactly the books became all about Malfoy and Snape for me, but they have. I think it's because of my pre-existing love of Byronic heroes, and those two are certainly on their way to becoming just that (they have all the symptoms, shall we say). It's getting increasingly difficult to hold this opinion about Draco,, though . . . Book Five Malfoy is depressingly similar to his thrice-dratted father--with one important exception. Draco elicits a certain amount of pity from me . . . Lucius emphatically does not.I It's the same with Snape: I empathize with Snape-the-teenager infinitely more than with James-the-teenager, or even Harry-the-teenager, really. I care about them because they in a sense need someone to care about them. Harry doesn't really need my sympathy, he's got the Weasleys, Dumbledore, and the whole of Gryffindor house, not to mention the whole of Hogwarts (minus Slythies) behind him. Snape and Malfoy don't have anyone.You could argue that Draco has his "gang" and his parents, but I would dispute it if you did. Having subordinates is not the same as having friends, and Draco's parents care more about Draco's duty as a son than about him personally (IMHO). As for Snape, friendship seems to have always been about power for him, in the same way, perhaps, as Peter Pettigrew. He joined the Death Eaters for protection against the James Potters and Sirius Blacks of the world, and how sad is that? Dumbledore trusts him and defends him, but treats him more like a spoiled child than a friend. Much as I like to entertain the thought of a friendship between McGonaghall and Snape, I think the movie is clouding my judgement there. Maybe, though, there is a sort of rivalry between them that is more friendly than either of them knows. I hope. I like to think that. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Nessun commento: